Monday, October 7, 2019

Moving around Menorca

Now that we have settled into our new and warmer environment, we are venturing out during the day.  Today we caught the local bus to go to Mahon, the capital.


The city gates which date back to the fifteenth century.





Church with the city market place at the side.  In addition there are the market stalls in a public square on Tuesdays and Saturdays and we are going to attend on one of those.






The trios cavallos - the three horses statue.


An attractive building.






The harbour.







The municipal library.






After six weeks on the road, I was in dire need of a haircut.  I found myself a good barber.

 The Gomilas brothers who run the barber shop which had been owned by their father. He bought the shop in 1950 but it had been a barber shop since 1905.  The eldest one next to me on my right is the one who cut my hair.  I may add, that, as is often the case, they were initially reluctant to cut a woman's hair but my powers of persuasion overcame their objections.  We parted good friends and they happily agreed to their photograph being taken.  I had never been to a shop run by three brothers.  The atmosphere was a very good one with barbers and customers all happily chatting as locks were being shorn.





The mouth-watering tapas, one of Spain's very best features.  Sadly, they do not serve tapas at our hotel.  The food is excellent and of great variety but tapas bars are something else.


Sardines on bread and tomatoes.









The hanging sausages.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Andrew and Nikki,

    Great end to your recent blog, and we assume that you had a good journey home. If you send me an email address we can send you relevant photos from the holiday. Nigel & Pauline

    ReplyDelete